Sicily is in fact part of Italy and is the most important island within the Mediterranean with a bunch of sights that make it well-known.
This gorgeous island is among the twenty areas of Italy and is known for things like Mount Etna, The Roman Theatre of Taormina, in addition to the bustling metropolis of Palermo—which is an attraction in its personal proper and will positively be included in your Sicily itinerary.
Sicily is an island that has the right mixture of gorgeous landscapes, unbelievable seashores, unimaginable delicacies in addition to one among Europe’s finest climates, so it’s no surprise that this island is a favourite amongst vacationers and holidaymakers.
So, allow us to present you what an 8 day Sicily itinerary might appear like.
Right here’s the right way to plan an eight day Sicily itinerary
Let’s begin off your Sicily journey in Palermo.
Day 1-3: Palermo
You’ll start your dream journey to Sicily, by beginning within the capital metropolis of Palermo which is known for its lovely fountains and wonderful piazzas. However largely for its unimaginable meals tradition—which is among the principal causes you’re in Italy proper?
Sicilian delicacies is out of this world and attracts many individuals because of this alone, and one of many main sights you can’t overlook is the traditional La Vucciria food market. This market holds social significance throughout the metropolis in addition to taking part in a central function right here. This iconic meals market is the place you may take pleasure in all types of scrumptious and native road meals, expertise locals having fun with the dolce vita in addition to embrace the energetic environment, which makes this a standout spot.
To get right here, make your option to Piazza Caracciolo, Palermo anytime between 7 am and seven pm Monday – Saturday. Palermo is a perfect spot to strive some well-known road meals reminiscent of arancini (Italian rice balls) and sfincione (Sicilian pizza), in addition to take a cooking class to be taught the secrets and techniques behind these mouthwatering recipes. In case you’re feeling adventurous, you should definitely strive the well-known beef spleen sandwich referred to as pani ca meusa.
With full bellies, you might be able to tackle a few of Palermo’s finest sights over these few days.
- Cattedrale di Palermo: This spectacular Roman Catholic church dates again to 1185, and is a unbelievable constructing of nice significance throughout the metropolis. It’s open Mon-Sat from 7am-7pm and Solar from 8am-7pm.
- Palazzo Dei Normanni: That is by far one of many best-preserved examples of Arabic-Norman-Byzantine structure and could be visited Mon-Sat from 8:30 am-4:30 pm and Solar from 8:30 am-12:30 pm.
- Teatro Massimo: The biggest opera home in Italy and the third-largest on this planet.
If you end up with time in your arms and are on the lookout for extra issues to do, then be certain that so as to add these optionally available sights to your record.
- St John of the Hermits: A medieval Norman church with spectacular Arab-Norman structure. You possibly can go to Mon-Sat from 9:30am-6:30am and Solar from 9:30am-1:30pm.
- The Ballaro market: One other market to expertise extra scrumptious Sicilian meals in addition to clothes. You will discover some mouthwatering fruit, cheeses, recent fish, and native greens. Mon-Sat 7:30 am-8:30pm/Solar 7:30am-2pm.
Day 3-5: Taormina
At this time, you’ll go away Palermo and comply with the north coast in the direction of Taormina, stopping off at Cefalu—a surprising hamlet by the ocean—earlier than persevering with to the east coast of the island. Taormina is a unbelievable resort city, which is unquestionably value a go to. In your first night, be certain that to take a stroll down the bustling principal road of Corso Umberto and choose a bar or restaurant to spend at for the night.
After dinner, why not absorb an open-air efficiency on the Greek Theatre which dates again to the third Century—assured to be an amazing expertise, in addition to present insatiable views of the well-known Mt Etna within the distance.
The subsequent day, there are a bunch of actions you may take pleasure in on this lovely coastal city, together with:
- Enjoyable on one of many seashores reminiscent of Isola Bella.
- Having fun with the panoramic view from Piazza IX Aprile, which has one of the best view of town and Mt Etna and is, in fact, open 24 hours a day to take pleasure in.
- Chiesa Madonna Della Rocco for extra unimaginable metropolis and sea views, a peaceable haven to chill out and the right spot to take pleasure in a glass of native wine. Mon-Solar 8:30am-7pm.
- Alcantara Gorge, which is a 50-minute drive from Taormina and is a geological marvel, in addition to the right place to go to to see wonderful waterfalls and take a refreshing dip within the Alcantara River.
Spend your second night in Palermo listening to dwell music and having fun with some scrumptious Italian delicacies on the town.
Tip: The Godfather followers can go to a number of of the film’s movie places within the city of Savoca, simply exterior Taormina, which was used because the fictional city of Corleone.
Day 5-6: Catania
After breakfast, you’ll go away Taormina and head to Catania. Nonetheless, you’ll in fact be stopping at one of the well-known sights on the island alongside the best way–Mount Etna. This energetic stratovolcano is the tallest volcano in Europe and attracts many guests to marvel on the sheer sight of this pure attraction. You possibly can both tackle the Mt Etna path, which is round a 1-hour return and is of medium grade, or you may merely spend a while having fun with the views and the infinite photograph alternatives earlier than persevering with to Catania.
Associated learn: The World’s Most Famous Volcanoes
Be aware: Whereas Italy is mostly not an unsafe place to go to, you have to be conscious of pickpockets and petty theft, particularly in touristy areas, so be vigilant and maintain your valuables in locations reminiscent of this.
Catania is the second-largest metropolis in Sicily and is a spot that you just simply can not overlook in your Sicily itinerary planning. When arriving, count on to be greeted by a unbelievable view of Mount Etna, which kinds the long-lasting backdrop of this gorgeous metropolis. Right here you’ll spend the night absorbing the environment of town in all its glory, which is clear on the Piazza Duomo.
The next day you’ll have the entire day to discover town’s sights, together with:
- Palazzo Biscari: Go to this marvelous palace for its unimaginable Catanese Baroque structure, full with gorgeous frescos. Provided that this historic location is now getting used for concert events, verify their website for upcoming unmissable occasions. Mon-Solar 10am-1pm.
- The Cathedral of Catania: This lovely and historic cathedral is centrally situated, so there isn’t any motive to overlook out on seeing the fantastic baroque structure which makes this so common. Be looking out for the domed roof, the columned facade, and the quite a few frescoes that may be admired for hours. Devoted to the patron saint of Catania, St Agatha, whose competition is held from February 3rd – 5th. Mon-Sat 10:30am-12pm/4pm-5:30pm, closed Sundays.
Throughout your time sightseeing in Catania, be certain that to refresh your self with a chilly and fruity beverage from one of many historic Catania kiosks which date again to the 1800s and are present in most of the piazzas, particularly Piazza Umberto. Get pleasure from one other lovely night in Catania, with a scrumptious native dinner of Pasta Alla Norma (pasta and eggplant) and a surprising sundown over Mount Etna, as you absorb all you will have encountered right now, as a part of your 8 day Sicily itinerary.
Day 6-8: Siracusa
At this time, after a recent and attractive Italian breakfast, alongside some world-famous espresso, you’ll set your self up for the day and make your option to Siracusa, which is a perfect spot to find its sights in addition to being near some main stop-off factors too. In your means right here, you may cease on the archeological web site of Agrigento, which is among the most vital historic websites on the entire island. After marveling on the varied mesmerizing ruins, you’ll proceed to Siracuse, the place extra journey awaits.
In your first day in Siracusa, you’re going to get the possibility to find many issues, together with:
- The Fontana Diana on the Piazza Archimed: Relationship again to 1907, this can be a main characteristic within the metropolis of Siracusa, which is devoted to the Goddess, Diana.
- Ortigia, which is accessed by way of a bridge and is known for its unimaginable Baroque model Piazza del Duomo–the most effective in Italy.
In your second day in Siracusa, you’ll go to Modica, which is a haven for the candy tooth, on condition that it’s well-known for the Modica candies—which you’ll be able to style and, in fact, take residence. This city is famed for its lovely array of historic buildings, its chocolate museum, and its tiny slim, picturesque streets.
You’ll spend the remainder of the day as you please, wandering this lovely hilly city, earlier than making your means again to Catania on your final night in Sicily, closing off your unbelievable 8 day Sicily itinerary.